PLANET CANINE opened in October 1994. It was inspired by a doggy daycare center that was opened by the San Francisco SPCA. Dogs have always been an integral part of our lives and we wanted to create a comfortable, enjoyable place for them to stay and play while their owners were off at work, out to play, or when they just need a break.
Steve Leeder, the owner of Planet Canine, is THE PACK LEADER. He has been at Planet Canine since 2007 and he is a natural with dogs. With over 13 years of experience, he understands dogs' needs and behavior so your pups will be in attentive, professional, and caring hands.
PLANET CANINE IS WHERE A DOG CAN BE A DOG!
They come to play. They run around. They sleep. They make friends, and at the end of the day they feel happy, loved and part of a family!
Dogs are pack animals and they don't like to be alone. They see you and your family as part of their pack, so when you are away for the day your dog is at a loss. Planet Canine offers a second family for your dog to be a part of while you are at work or away on holiday.
We operate differently from more conventional kennels in that the dogs spend quite a bit of time together, upwards of 8 hours a day. We seek to create an away-from-home pack for your dog to be part of.
Dogs are supervised when they are in THE PACK. Our staff is on-hand to ensure that your pal gets attention & plays nice. Our purpose at Planet Canine is to allow your dog to be themselves in a safe, caring environment. Water is available in all areas of our establishment, 24 hours a day. As a smaller daycare facility, we rarely take more than 25 dogs which means your dog will be more comfortable and receive the attention he/she deserves!
Due to popular demand, Planet Canine boards dogs overnight as well. We have several different sleeping accommodations depending on your dog's temperament and training. All dogs eat and sleep separately unless they are from the same household. All of our sleeping areas are indoors.
Our location is a 1500 sq. ft. converted warehouse with an attached yard. Our outdoor play yard is 15’ x 125’ overall. Additionally, the play yard is fully fenced with 16’ cyclone fencing. We are able to separate this area into two play yards should the need arise. For example, we often separate larger dogs from smaller dogs. We use pine shavings which are easy on the dog’s feet, sanitary, and fun to play in. Play structures include igloos for hiding out, a slide, and of course, an authentic fire hydrant. Play pools are available during hot weather. Dogs have access to both indoor and outdoor areas during group time.
No dog too big or small for Planet Canine!
Little dogs like to have fun too!
Just another day at playcare
REASONS WHY YOU AND YOUR DOG WILL LOVE PLANET CANINE!
1. Planet Canine offers a peace of mind alternative to leaving your dog home alone. Consider it a play group for your dog.
2. You won't spend your day wondering if that new couch is still in one piece or whether your curtains will still be attached to the wall when you return at the end of your day.
3. Dogs have fun with other dogs! Studies have shown that if dogs are denied the opportunity to play, they may develop physical and/or behavioral problems.
4. Your dog will get to spend the day with the regular dog daycare gang. Dogs at Planet Canine get up to 8 hours a day of playtime, which will make them pretty tired when they get back home. This is especially beneficial for long-term boarding dogs. It may not be home, but a pup will get lots of pets, love, and play to hold 'em over until their people come back.
5. Bedding and meals are provided and included as part of our boarding fee. Our doggy daycare and boarding program provides plenty of areas to rest during the day and separate sleep areas at night and at naptime. We also provide snacks at nap-time.
6. Best of all, your furry friend is thrilled to see you at the end of the day, every day. They greet you as though you are the finest thing to ever walk the earth, every time they see you! The novelty never wears off!
1) PROOF OF CURRENT VACCINATION
Federal law requires rabies vaccine for all dogs. Planet Canine requires DHLPP vaccine and bordetella unless we are provided with an exception from your vet. Many older dogs no longer require this vaccine. Check with your vet for further information. All dogs must be old enough to have completed their puppy series of shots. This is usually about 12 weeks of age.
2) NON-AGGRESSIVE DOGS
This can be a tough one. Please be honest. Dogs often behave differently when they are not with their humans; sometimes better, sometimes worse. Please let us know anything that might help. Behavior that you might see as aggression can often be normal for a dog. With our many years of experience, we can help you assess your dog's ability to be with THE PACK. Dogs who are too intense or aggressive are separated from THE PACK. They will still get exercise and attention throughout their stay.
3) NEUTERED OR SPAYED
All dogs over nine (6) months of age must be neutered or spayed in order to be with THE PACK. We have alternative accommodations for intact male/females. We know that your intact male or female is very submissive and sweet and you never have a problem with him but a daycare situation is unique. Intact dogs smell differently and may seem to present a threat to the rest of the pack. We cannot bend on this rule, sorry!!
We are sure we can come up with more rules and such but these are the most important and the rest will follow.
1123 Francisco Blvd E, San Rafael, CA 94901
Phone: (415) 459-6130
Monday - Friday: 7am-11am & 3pm-7pm
Saturday/Sunday: 8am-10am & 4pm-6pm
CLOSED TO HUMANS ON MAJOR HOLIDAYS
Please provide your email so we can send you an online application via Docusign
Copyright © 2018 Planet Canine - All Rights Reserved.